The City of South Lake Tahoe is part of a broader South Shore community that includes California's El Dorado County in the Tahoe Basin and Nevada's Douglas County at Stateline/Zephyr Cove:
South Lake Tahoe Population: Including the Stateline area, South Lake Tahoe has a permanent, year-round population of 34,000.
California Sunshine: The sun shines at Lake Tahoe during 75% of the year, or 274 days.
Lake Tahoe Snowfall Levels: At lake level, annual snowfall in South Lake Tahoe averages 125 inches. At alpine skiing elevations, the snowfall averages 300 to 500 inches each year.
Gaming: There are six 24-hour casinos in the South Lake Tahoe area. Together, they have a total of 7,051 slot machines and 411 game tables.
Skiing and Riding: At Heavenly, skiers/riders can enjoy California skiing and riding on one of the 97 trails in the midst of more than 4,800 total acres.
Other Lake Tahoe Facts:
• Lake Tahoe is the North American Continent's largest Alpine lake and is 22 miles long, 12 miles wide, and covers a surface area of 191.6 square miles, and has 72 miles of shoreline.
• Lake Tahoe is 2/3 in California and 1/3 in the State of Nevada.
• The Lake's surface is 6,226.95 feet above sea level and the natural rim is 6,223 feet above sea level, making it the highest lake of its size in the United States.
• Mt. Tallac at 9,735 feet is the highest peak rising from the shoreline. The highest point in the Tahoe Basin is Freel Peak at 10,881 feet.
• Lake Tahoe is the third deepest lake in North America and the tenth deepest in the world.(Lake Baikal, in Russia, is the deepest at over 4,600 feet.) Tahoe's deepest point is 1,645 feet near Crystal Bay. The average depth of Lake Tahoe is 989 feet.
• The estimated 39.75 trillion gallons of water contained in the lake is 99.9 percent pure, with visibility to 75 feet below the surface.
• If Lake Tahoe was completely drained, it would cover a flat area the size of California to a depth of 14 inches, but would take over 700 years to refill.
• Lake Tahoe is, geologically, a "young lake" having been formed 10,000 to 11,000 years ago.
• Glaciers are responsible for carving out the broad U-shaped valleys that hold Emerald Bay, Fallen Leaf Lake, and Cascade Lake.
• Sixty-three streams flow into Lake Tahoe, but only one, the Truckee River, flows out.
• Lake Tahoe loses much of its water to evaporation. If the water that evaporates from the lake every 24 hours could be recovered, it would supply the daily requirements of a city the size of Los Angeles.
• Although the summer's heat can warm the upper 12 feet to a comfortable 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Lake Tahoe never freezes over in the winter; this is due to the constant 39 degrees Fahrenheit, maintained at depths below 700 feet, largely because of the constant movement and volume of water.
History of South Lake Tahoe
Did you know Heavenly opened as ski resort before the city of South Lake Tahoe existed? In 1965 SLT was formed by incorporating the communities of Al Tahoe, Bijou, Bijou Park, Stateline, Tahoe Valley, and Tallac Village.
Today it is the most populous city in El Dorado County or the Sierra Nevada mountain range area.
South Lake includes the stretch of shore along Lake Tahoe Boulevard (Highway 50) from the Stateline NV Casinos to “The Y” where the highway splits towards either Sacramento or the West Shore and Emerald Bay.
More than any other area around the lake, South Lake Tahoe is full of restaurants, shopping, art galleries, ski shops and summer adventures.
Gaming on the South Shore
Gaming came to South Lake Tahoe in 1944 when Harvey’s opened. Harvey's was rebuilt in the 1980s and the new property was acquired by Harrah’s International.
As of 2014 there are five licensed casinos in Douglas County, NV. You can see your gaming options from the Heavenly Gondola.
Harvey’s is connected to Harrah’s via an underground tunnel. The two properties share a loyalty club under the Caesers Total Rewards brand. Next door you’ll find the MontBleu Resort Casino and Spa and the Horizon Casino Resort. Another block down to the East is the Lakeside Inn and Casino.
Each casino offers a different gaming and entertainment experience. The casino strip gives South Tahoe endless nightclub, bar, live music, restaurant, and show choices.
Ski and Play at Heavenly
What makes Heavenly special? We have world class skiing and the widest array of après ski entertainment in the world.
Our nightlife choices aren’t for the faint of heart. But before you head to the casino or bar, check out our Unbuckle Après Ski Party at Tamarack Lodge then take the Gondola back down to the Village.
Get more nightlife ideas from our After Effect blog series.